BridgeClimb had been operating on the bridge for 20 years, until today when the NSW Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) announced their time had come to an end.
BridgeClimb has reportedly lost the lucrative $50 million contract to Scenic World.
The operators of Scenic World in the Blue Mountains, the most visited privately- owned tourist attraction in Australia, has been awarded the 20-year contract.
In a statement today, BridgeClimb Sydney’s Chairman and founder Paul Cave thanked every Climber and customer who had gone through the iconic experience.
The BridgeClimb has summated four million Climbers from more than 140 countries since opening on 1 October 1998.
Aside from attracting tourists, it has also attracted a swag of Hollywood celebrities over its two decades of operation.
Some of those who have climbed it include Titanic director James Cameron and his wife Suzy, Sam Smith, Kerry Katona, David Hasselhoff, James Blunt, Hayden Christensen, Sir Ian McKellen and Tracey Ullman.
Other famous Australian stars who’ve climbed it include Hugh Jackman, Ian Thorpe and Adam Gilchrist among many others.
It has also been a focal point for new milestones set including the world’s first Haka and Tai Chi event on the Harbour Bridge.
Mr Cave said: “It has been a privilege for us to make a hero of the Bridge, and of every Climber on every Climb. We will continue to create unforgettable memories until our final Climber.”
He added: “Our team have worked tirelessly to deliver the ultimate experience of Sydney. Over 1,500 team members have made a hero of the Bridge, and of every single Climber and visitor since 1998. Every one of our past and present team can hold their heads high on what we have created together. The team and our customers are our immediate priority.”
For those who have BridgeClimb bookings already or gift vouchers for a BridgeClimb, the future may be unclear.
Those booked up until September 30 2018 will be climbing as usual.
But those customers with bookings for after that date, BridgeClimb will be in contact when there is further clarity regarding these bookings.
Mr Cave said: “We will not be making any further statements at this time. Our focus is on our customers, our team, and on preserving our brand, equipment and expertise for future opportunities.”
Family business Hammons Holdings – which will take over from BridgeClimb Sydney on October 1 – is promising new climb routes, improved accessibility and new technologies for a “more interactive visitor experience”.